|Participating in an Online Workshop|
Note: This module is very different than all of the other SCILnet modules. You must read ALL of the information below before commiting to complete this module.
Instructor: Sandy Turner
This triple module (worth 3 module units) is designed to teach you about the medium of online communication. Part of the module will be asynchronous and part will be synchronous. The asynchronous communication will occur via email and the synchronous meetings will occur in an online virtual conference room (TAPPED IN) at the times listed below. We anticipate that this module will require the average user approximately 9 hours of time over the course of the module, thus making it worth 3 modules (however, you must understand that this time will vary depending on the skill, determination, and interest level of the participant). Participants must register for this module. Enrollment is limited to 10 participants.
To register, send and email to Sandy Turner (email@example.com) no later than February 19, 1999. Registrations will be taken on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- This module is not designed for those who are new to the Internet. If you are new to the Internet, but interested in this module, make sure to complete the basic modules first. We will most likely be offering a second session of this workshop in April.
- Participants should be independent learners and willing to take the time to learn new skills.
- Prior to registering for this module, participants will need to check and see if their computer and browser are set up to link to the program we will use for the synchronous meetings. If not, they will either have to find a computer that is, or choose not to register for this module. You can check this at the TAPPED IN software information page.
- Participants must have an email account and should be able to use basic email functions.
- Participants must know how to set up group mail in their email program (or be willing to learn how to do this).
- Participants must be willing to check and read their email at least every other day for the duration of the module.
- learn to communicate with one another via email and virtual conferencing
- learn and practice the skills necessary for participating in a synchronous virtual conference (TAPPED IN)
- use these models to share ideas about the questions and topics assigned
- be part of a region-wide discussion group
Expectations for Successful CompletionEach participant must:
- set up a group list in their email of all participants in this module and use this for group communication.
- Complete four short assignments which will be related to the discussions (read an article, find a website to share, etc.)
- learn to use the TAPPED IN online virtual conference program (http://www.tappedin.com) by reading the online documentation provided by TAPPED IN and the instructor
- successfully log in to TAPPED IN for the synchronous sessions and remain in the workshop for the time assigned (barring unforeseen technical difficulties!). Workshops will not last more than one hour.
- attend a total of 4of the synchronous meetings listed below (one of them being an "After School Online" sessions. by TAPPED IN)
- participate in one of TAPPED IN's scheduled "After School Online" sessions.
- actively participate in both asynchronous and synchronous communication; participants will be expected to contribute something during each session (participate in the discussions)
- Understand that agreement on issues of discussion is not necessary, however, respectful and professional treatment of all participants is expected J
Online Workshop I(If this workshop fills up we will create another workshop on different dates.)
Registration deadline February 19th Asynchronous communication to begin February 22nd Synchronous (TAPPED IN) sessions
- Session 1: Monday, March 8, 4:00-5:00 PM Introduction to TAPPED IN and to each other
- Session 2: Thursday, March 11, 4:00-5:00 PM (Topic to be announced)
- Session 3: Monday, March 15, 4:00-5:00 PM (Topic to be announced)
- Session 4: Monday, March 29, 4:00-5:00 PM (Topic to be announced)
(Remember that you need to attend 3 of the 4 listed above and one of the ASO sessions)
After School Online sessions see calendar at http://www.tappedin.sri.com/cgi-bin/calendar/calendar.cgi
NOTE: If the above times, days and dates do not work for you, contact me and let me know what times and days are better for you and I will try to get another workshop going.Possible discussion topics:
Teaching with the Web
Educational Resources on the Internet
Internet Teaching Tools
The Classroom of the Future; Pushing the Education Envelope
Have you read all of the above information? If so...and you are interested...email me!
Send any questions concerning this module to:
SCILnet Internet Training Coordinator
Fort Lewis College
IET Instructor of Record/ASC