If you send, receive and file a lot of mail, you will find that there are times you cannot remember where a piece of mail is located. Or perhaps you have filed several pieces of mail from a correspondent in several different folders but would like to view all of his/her mail. WebMail provides a sophisticated but easy-to-use search tool that allows you to list the messages that contain specific text and/or are from a specific person. You could, for example:
- list all of your messages that contained the word assignment that you received from your students
- list all of the messages that you received from a student named Marcus
- list all of the messages that contained the word assignment that you received from a student named Marcus
The procedure below tells you how to search for e-mail messages:
- From the Inbox, use the Search button. WebMail displays the Search Messages dialog box.
- Do one (or both) of the following:
- To locate messages that were sent by a particular person, type all or part of that person's name, or their e-mail user i.d. in the From box.
- To locate messages that contain a particular word or phrase, type that word or phrase in the Text box. To search for messages on more than one keyword, separate the words with a space.
- Note that the most efficient way to search for a message is to enter information in both the From box and the Text box.
- Select one of the following Match if options:
- All Keywords are found - lists those messages that contain all of the search criteria (Text and From) that you specified.
- At least One Keyword is found - lists those messages that contain one or more of the search criteria (Text and From) that you specified.
- From the Date pull-down list, select a range of dates for your message search. WebMail will search for only those documents received between the dates that you select.
- From the Folder pull-down list, select the folder that you want to search. To search all of your e-mail folders, select All Folders.
- Select the OK button to search for matching messages. (To cancel the search, use the X button.) WebMail displays a message list that contains the messages that met the criteria that you specified. From this list, you can select messages and view them. You can also exit from this list and view your main list by using the Inbox button.
Sample Text Search:
Results of Text Search:
Narrowing down search using both Text and From:
Results of Search: